Friday, November 20, 2015

An Old Hollywood Halloween

As everyone knows, I loooove coming up with fun Halloween costumes, especially for the kids. After  channeling characters from Star Wars, A League of Their Own, and The Wizard of Oz in years past, we continued the movie theme. But this year, the kids went old Hollywood-style. 

Ava was Audrey Hepburn's character from Breakfast at Tiffany's.
And Rylan was James Dean's character from Rebel Without a Cause.
I have wanted Ava to be Holly Golightly ever since I saw a tutu-version of the costume on Pinterest a few years ago. And I knew Rylan would make the perfect James Dean (as would Josh).

I was determined to put together costumes as close to the original outfits as possible, and it was actually pretty easy to find everything. 


{Dress / Gloves / Crown / Sunglasses: Nordstrom / Necklace: Previously-Owned Necklace + Broach from JoAnn Fabric / Earrings: Sticky Jewels from JoAnn Fabric.}

Rylan's red jacket was the hardest item to locate, but I finally found one on eBay. Josh styled his hair to perfection. 






These two...





Rylan got the hang of the whole trick-or-treating thing down pretty quickly. 


And Ava was a pro. 


She was also very excited that Grammie got to join in on the fun.


This year we headed over to the block party on Vanderbilt Avenue for the first time, and it was amazing (although we were slightly disappointed that the houses didn't offer as many adult beverages as promised). My favorite houses were the Star Wars and creepy clown-themed ones. 




By the end of the night, Rylan's hair was a little less James Dean and a little more Flock of Seagulls. But still adorable. 


I fear this was my last year to pick Ava's costume, but I have a whole year to brainstorm Ry's next movie-themed costume. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Catherine, but most of my friends call me Cat. I was born and raised in Austin, went to TCU, and ended up in Dallas for law school (where Josh and I met). I decided that being an attorney was not my cup of tea and pursued a career in legal marketing. I am now a mother of two attempting to balance family with a full-time job, which is always an adventure. I love: my sweet babies, handsome husband, very large family, and fabulous friends; trying new restaurants; wine; TCU football; holidays; cooking; The Bar Method; pajamas; Topo Chico; reading; coffee; Central Market; carbs; the beach; mani/pedis; Anthropologie; binge-worthy TV shows and podcasts; trivia; French 75s; Pinterest; cheese boards; The Ticket; dancing; Sprinkles cupcakes; The Texas Rangers; fresh flowers; thunderstorms; naps; Tex-Mex; the Texas Hill Country; porch-sitting; ranch dressing; throwing parties; and my job. I hate: working-mom guilt; snakes; heights; waking up early; ignorant people; stomach bugs; paper cuts; green fruit; snoring; bad hair days; the sound of people eating (Misophonia); scary movies; bad drivers; pulpy OJ; trimming baby fingernails; and Miracle Whip. That pretty much sums it up.

Instagram

E-mail Me

Followers

Blog Archive