Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Chocolate Icebox Pie: The Filling

I've always loved Luby's...the macaroni and cheese, the rolls, and especially the chocolate icebox pie. Something about stepping into the restaurant brings back so many childhood memories.


So, when Luby's came out with a cookbook a while back, I knew I had to have it. To my delight, it had the chocolate icebox pie recipe, which you can use with the crust recipe I posted previously. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do :).

First, get the ingredients together...
  • 2 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 7 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 3 extra large egg yolks
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup minature marshmallows
  • 1 pre-baked 9-inch pie shell
  • whipped cream
  • chocolate curls, shavings, or other garnish
Then combine 2 cups milk, sugar, cocoa, and butter in a medium saucepan and bring just to a boil.








While this mixture is heating up, mix together the cornstarch and remaining 1/2 cup of milk until the cornstarch is dissolved.


Whisk in the egg yolks and vanilla extract until well-blended.


Just before the chocolate mixture on the stove gets to a boil, gradually whisk some of the hot mixture to the cold egg mixture so the eggs don't scramble.




Once you have warmed up the egg mixture a bit by adding this in, whisk all the egg mixture into the hot chocolate mixture.


Cook, stirring constantly, about two minutes or until mixture is thickened and smooth.


Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the marshmallows until melted.




Pour the mixture into the pie shell and cover immediately with plastic wrap. Press the plastic wrap directly onto the filling (which prevents a skin from forming on the filling) and refrigerate for at least four hours.


Once you are ready, remove the plastic wrap and top the pie with whipped cream and whichever chocolate garnish you prefer.

When I made this pie last Christmas, I used chocolate shavings (which you can make using a vegetable peeler and a chocolate bar).


But this time around, I decided to use chocolate chips because I was in a hurry :).


Sorry I didn't get a picture of the pie once it was cut, but this pie was donated to the "pie day" fundraiser at work...so I couldn't bring it with a piece missing :).

I can't wait to make this pie again for the holidays...it is calling my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Catherine, but most of my friends call me Cat. I was born and raised in Austin, went to TCU, and ended up in Dallas for law school (where Josh and I met). I decided that being an attorney was not my cup of tea and pursued a career in legal marketing. I am now a mother of two attempting to balance family with a full-time job, which is always an adventure. I love: my sweet babies, handsome husband, very large family, and fabulous friends; trying new restaurants; wine; TCU football; holidays; cooking; The Bar Method; pajamas; Topo Chico; reading; coffee; Central Market; carbs; the beach; mani/pedis; Anthropologie; binge-worthy TV shows and podcasts; trivia; French 75s; Pinterest; cheese boards; The Ticket; dancing; Sprinkles cupcakes; The Texas Rangers; fresh flowers; thunderstorms; naps; Tex-Mex; the Texas Hill Country; porch-sitting; ranch dressing; throwing parties; and my job. I hate: working-mom guilt; snakes; heights; waking up early; ignorant people; stomach bugs; paper cuts; green fruit; snoring; bad hair days; the sound of people eating (Misophonia); scary movies; bad drivers; pulpy OJ; trimming baby fingernails; and Miracle Whip. That pretty much sums it up.

Instagram

E-mail Me

Followers

Blog Archive