Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Bunny to the Rescue

Last Thursday, I got the dreaded call from daycare that Ava had a fever. When I picked her up, I could tell immediately that she was miserable. She spent all day sleeping, crying, or just wanting to be held. Ava was even worse on Friday morning, when she woke up with a high fever. The only thing that made her feel better (other than the Tylenol) was me walking her around the house like when she was a little baby. She was so pitiful. 

After her fever was finally gone for good on Saturday, she felt better, but still had no appetite, a terrible runny nose, an upset stomach at times, and generally just felt crummy. Even when she was playing, Ava didn't have her normal energy. 

Exhibit A: She decided it was a lot more relaxing to read while lying on a big pillow :). 

And I also established a new house rule...sick babies get to play with the (usually off-limits) remote.

Since I had stayed home from work on Thursday and Friday, and Ava was still feeling bad on Saturday, I was really concerned that she was not going to be better by Monday. I also wanted to take her to the doctor to make sure she didn't have an ear infection. But I really couldn't miss another full day of work. So, my Mom came to the rescue. 

Bunny drove up to Dallas and rescheduled all her plans for Sunday night and Monday so she could take Ava to the doctor. Josh and I were super grateful, and Ava was so glad to see her Bunny! 

She was even able to get a few smiles out of her. 

Luckily, the doctor said Ava didn't have an ear infection and her chest was clear. It was just a really bad cold. Today was her first day back at daycare, and she had a rough morning. They even called me to say that she had cried for 45 minutes straight this morning :(. Not only is Ava still not 100%, but she was also spoiled by all the one-on-one attention she got for the past five days. Luckily, Ava was feeling a lot better by the time I picked her up tonight, and I'm really hoping she is back to normal soon. 

The silver lining of this terrible bug is that I got in lots of snuggle time with my sweet baby girl. Which was especially needed after hearing the tragic news out of Connecticut on Friday. My heart literally aches for all the family members and loved ones of the victims, and I tear up every time I think about it. They were just babies! I can't possibly imagine what it would be like to get that call as a parent. I'm not going to talk about gun control or mental health issues on this blog, but I will say that news like that definitely puts things in perspective. I was more than happy to spend several days cleaning up poop, vomit, and a plethora of snot...because it meant that I got to spend it with Ava. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Catherine, but most of my friends call me Cat. I was born and raised in Austin, went to TCU, and ended up in Dallas for law school (where Josh and I met). I decided that being an attorney was not my cup of tea and pursued a career in legal marketing. I am now a mother of two attempting to balance family with a full-time job, which is always an adventure. I love: my sweet babies, handsome husband, very large family, and fabulous friends; trying new restaurants; wine; TCU football; holidays; cooking; The Bar Method; pajamas; Topo Chico; reading; coffee; Central Market; carbs; the beach; mani/pedis; Anthropologie; binge-worthy TV shows and podcasts; trivia; French 75s; Pinterest; cheese boards; The Ticket; dancing; Sprinkles cupcakes; The Texas Rangers; fresh flowers; thunderstorms; naps; Tex-Mex; the Texas Hill Country; porch-sitting; ranch dressing; throwing parties; and my job. I hate: working-mom guilt; snakes; heights; waking up early; ignorant people; stomach bugs; paper cuts; green fruit; snoring; bad hair days; the sound of people eating (Misophonia); scary movies; bad drivers; pulpy OJ; trimming baby fingernails; and Miracle Whip. That pretty much sums it up.


E-mail Me

Follow by Email


Blog Archive