Friday, May 25, 2018

Stella

Stella would have been 12 years old today. Our sweet dog passed away on February 15, and I haven't been able to bring myself to post about it until now. 
Stella had slowly been losing weight, and then after a grooming appointment, she couldn't stop shivering and was having trouble breathing. The vet diagnosed her with conjunctive heart failure and prescribed some medicine. However, unfortunately, she was too far gone at that point and only made it a couple more days. 

On her last day with us, it was a blessing-in-disguise that I had pinkeye and had to stay home from work, so we were able to snuggle on the couch for several hours. She also went out in the backyard one last time to lay in the grass and soak up the sun.


When Stella's breathing got worse, I took her back in to the vet where she passed as they took her back for a chest x-ray. I am grateful that she didn't have to be put to sleep, and also that I was there with her but didn't have to actually witness her passing. But it hit me HARD when they brought her back to me so I could say my final goodbye. I also called Josh at that point to give him the news. It was all way more emotional than I imagined, and still get teary-eyed when thinking about her now. 

Stella was our first baby and a constant companion for nearly 12 years. She had terrible breath, but was the best snuggler (sometimes not the best combination). Stella (aka Stellanator/Stells/Stinks) loved belly rubs, dancing for treats, snuggling on the couch, barking at visitors, eating food dropped by the kids, laying in the sun, Louie, and us. 












Stella will forever have a place in our family and our hearts.


We miss you, Stells.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Catherine, but most of my friends call me Cat. I was born and raised in Austin, went to TCU, and ended up in Dallas for law school (where Josh and I met). I decided that being an attorney was not my cup of tea and pursued a career in legal marketing. I am now a mother of two attempting to balance family with a full-time job, which is always an adventure. I love: my sweet babies, handsome husband, very large family, and fabulous friends; trying new restaurants; wine; TCU football; holidays; cooking; The Bar Method; pajamas; Topo Chico; reading; coffee; Central Market; carbs; the beach; mani/pedis; Anthropologie; binge-worthy TV shows and podcasts; trivia; French 75s; Pinterest; cheese boards; The Ticket; dancing; Sprinkles cupcakes; The Texas Rangers; fresh flowers; thunderstorms; naps; Tex-Mex; the Texas Hill Country; porch-sitting; ranch dressing; throwing parties; and my job. I hate: working-mom guilt; snakes; heights; waking up early; ignorant people; stomach bugs; paper cuts; green fruit; snoring; bad hair days; the sound of people eating (Misophonia); scary movies; bad drivers; pulpy OJ; trimming baby fingernails; and Miracle Whip. That pretty much sums it up.

Instagram

E-mail Me

Followers

Blog Archive