Friday, June 22, 2012

Almond & Cheese Stuffed Chicken


This is the last recipe from Six Degrees of Supperation that I had not yet posted on our blog as well. After this, I promise there are some new recipes coming soon!

************************************
I am always looking for ways to take the boring out of plain chicken breasts, and this recipe definitely does the trick. Not only is this dish super easy to make, but since it was adapted from a Cooking Light recipe, it is actually fairly healthy too.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup light garlic and herb spreadable cheese (I use alouette brand)
  • 1/4 cup slivered and toasted almonds, coarsely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (note that I only had three, but the cheese mixture makes enough for four)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 teaspoons butter
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Chop the parsley...


...and the almonds. Unless you are in a Martha Stewart kind of mood. I recommend buying pre-toasted and slivered almonds like these. They are awesome.



Combine the spreadable cheese, almonds, and parsley in a small bowl. Look at me...I even opted for light cheese this time.

My hips thanked me.




Trim the chicken breasts if necessary, cover with wax paper, and pound into thin cutlets.


Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with the salt and pepper.


Spread the cheese mixture in the center of each piece.


Roll up the chicken with the smaller side on top, and secure with toothpicks.


Heat the butter on medium-high heat in an oven-proof skillet. I love using my cast iron skillet for this.

I'm not going to lie...I think I used a bit more butter than usual. But I used light cheese, so it all evens out right?


Add the chicken, thick side down, and cook for a few minutes or until slightly browned.


Turn over and do the same to the other side. If your toothpicks are too long (as you can see, I had to use cut-off skewers, so mine were way long), you may have to remove them for this step, but the chicken should stay together at this point.


Turn the chicken back over and put the pan in the oven. It is fine to leave the toothpicks in.


Bake for about 30 minutes or until cooked through.


Serve with your favorite side dish. This time around, I served them with veggie couscous. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Catherine, but most of my friends call me Cat. I was born and raised in Austin, went to TCU, and ended up in Dallas for law school (where Josh and I met). I decided that being an attorney was not my cup of tea and pursued a career in legal marketing. I am now a mother of two attempting to balance family with a full-time job, which is always an adventure. I love: my sweet babies, handsome husband, very large family, and fabulous friends; trying new restaurants; wine; TCU football; holidays; cooking; The Bar Method; pajamas; Topo Chico; reading; coffee; Central Market; carbs; the beach; mani/pedis; Anthropologie; binge-worthy TV shows and podcasts; trivia; French 75s; Pinterest; cheese boards; The Ticket; dancing; Sprinkles cupcakes; The Texas Rangers; fresh flowers; thunderstorms; naps; Tex-Mex; the Texas Hill Country; porch-sitting; ranch dressing; throwing parties; and my job. I hate: working-mom guilt; snakes; heights; waking up early; ignorant people; stomach bugs; paper cuts; green fruit; snoring; bad hair days; the sound of people eating (Misophonia); scary movies; bad drivers; pulpy OJ; trimming baby fingernails; and Miracle Whip. That pretty much sums it up.

Instagram

E-mail Me

Followers

Blog Archive