Friday, June 22, 2012

Matt's El Rancho's Spanish Rice

Here is another recipe that I originally posted on Six Degrees of Supperation. I made some last week, and it was just as delicious as ever!

**********************************

One of my New Year's resolutions is to revive our lovely blog, and I thought a recipe from Matt's El Rancho would be the perfect way to do so.  This recipe is super easy and makes a delicious side dish for any Mexican/Tex-Mex meal.
Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3 cups water or chicken broth (I often use 1 1/2 cups of each)
  • 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce

First, chop up all your veggies.


I used my trusty veggie chopper for the onions, because we all know what a cry-baby I am around onions.

On that note, my fabulous in-laws gave me kitchen goggles for Christmas. I can't wait to try them out the next time I chop onions!!


Heat the oil in a large skillet.


Add the rice and saute until it is golden brown.






Add the veggies and seasonings, and continue to saute for a few more minutes.






Add the water/broth and the tomato sauce.

At this point, you can add 2 cups of any raw veggie you want...think chopped carrots, corn, and peas like El Arroyo. Get crazy :).


 

Stir in the tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

Then remove the rice from the heat and let it stand for a few minutes, still covered, before fluffing the rice with a fork.


This rice is so fluffy and delicious...make it for your next Taco Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My name is Catherine, but most of my friends call me Cat. I was born and raised in Austin, went to TCU, and ended up in Dallas for law school (where Josh and I met). I decided that being an attorney was not my cup of tea and pursued a career in legal marketing. I am now a mother of two attempting to balance family with a full-time job, which is always an adventure. I love: my sweet babies, handsome husband, very large family, and fabulous friends; trying new restaurants; wine; TCU football; holidays; cooking; The Bar Method; pajamas; Topo Chico; reading; coffee; Central Market; carbs; the beach; mani/pedis; Anthropologie; binge-worthy TV shows and podcasts; trivia; French 75s; Pinterest; cheese boards; The Ticket; dancing; Sprinkles cupcakes; The Texas Rangers; fresh flowers; thunderstorms; naps; Tex-Mex; the Texas Hill Country; porch-sitting; ranch dressing; throwing parties; and my job. I hate: working-mom guilt; snakes; heights; waking up early; ignorant people; stomach bugs; paper cuts; green fruit; snoring; bad hair days; the sound of people eating (Misophonia); scary movies; bad drivers; pulpy OJ; trimming baby fingernails; and Miracle Whip. That pretty much sums it up.

Instagram

E-mail Me

Followers

Blog Archive